COP23 : The Climate Change Conference at Bonn, Germany
t present 23 rd
conference on Climate Change named as COP23 gathering underway at Bonn , Germany from 6 to 17 November 2017.This COP23 ( Conference of the parties) is having its own advantage with respect to Climate change.
This write-up aim to simplify COP23 on Climate Change with respect to its background, objectives, purpose and other related things like its logo ,quote from leaders and India’s stand so that will help to understand its importance in general.
In November – December 2015 COP21 (Conference of the parties) held in Paris and the coming out from negotiation form parties is popularly known as “Paris Agreement”.
Now, what is Paris Agreement?
The Paris agreement adopted by 195 countries is the world first universal, legally binding climate deal, as part of COP21 (Conference of the parties) held in November – December 2015 at Paris.
This Paris agreement focus on specific action and target for reducing greenhouse gases emission and financing mitigation and adaptation effort in developing countries.
This agreement sets a global plan on how to limit the increase in global temperature to well below 2 degree Clesius above pre industrial level and make strong effort to keep the rise to 1.5 degree Celsius.
This deal entered into force on November 4, 2016 after the European Parliament gave its consent to the EU’s ratification.
It was all started from Rio convention or known as Rio Earth Summit and here UNFCCC ( United Nation Frame work Convention on Climate Change) was adopted in year 1992.This is marked as first effort by international community to tackle the problem of climate change.
Here, UNFCCC established the action to reduce the green house gases in the earth’s atmosphere.
About COP23 (Conference of the parties):
- This COP23 (Conference of the parties) is presiding by Fiji with the support of government of Germany. This conference (UNFCCC) open in Bonn , Germany on November 6 , 2017.
- Delegates elected Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama, Fiji, as president of the conference.
- During the opening session, UNFCCC executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa said COP23 should take steps to complete the Paris agreement‘s structure and advance pre-2020.
Logo of COP23 :
- This logo represent the vulnerability to climate change of a small island developing state like Fiji.
- Logo shows island is partially submerged and huge wave down on it in the form of cyclone with eye in middle.
Quotes I like and having message regarding Climate Change:
“I call on governments at all levels, NGOs, the scientific community, the business community, labor organizations and all of civil society to join me in a grand coalition to save our Earth and the people and other living things that call it home.”
H.E. Mr. Frank Bainimarama, Prime Minister of Fiji , President of COP23
“I encourage governments to come to COP 23 ready to work together to accelerate implementation and take the crucial next steps towards transformative change. I also encourage public and private sector leaders and every citizen to follow what happens at this year’s conference on our website and on social media to understand how to take action.”
Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary UNFCCC
COP23 ,Climate Change and INDIA
- In India, Prime Minister Modi had replied to one of the media question “Paris or no Paris, it is our conviction that we have no right to snatch from our future generation their right to have a clean and beautiful earth.”
Some of Media Headlines on COP23 :
- Also , Prime Minister Modi said that the country will go “Above and Beyond” the Paris agreement with a call to action :” We must leave for our future generation a climate where in they can breathe clean air and have a healthy life.”
- Also he mentioned that , the government has demonstrated a deep understanding of the need to reduce India’s dependency on fossile fuels, and a recognition of the sever effects of carbon emmision pollution on human health.
- India has its ambitious targer of 175 GW of renewable energy generation by 2022 and already added 11.3 GW of renewal energy.
India Pavilion Launched at Cop 23 in Bonn Conserving Now, Preserving Future” is India’s Theme
Yoga session a hit among visitors at UN climate change conference.
PS: To see my moment on twitter please click below link.