First Moon Landing: Apollo11’s 50th Anniversary
History of first landing on Moon made on 20 July 1969 with Apollo 11.Neil A Armstrong (1930-2012) and Edwin E “BUZZ” Aldrin(1930) are the first men to walk on the Moon.
“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
The timeline of first Moon Landing,
16 July 1969–At 1:32 UTC( Coordinated Universal Time) [9:32 a.m. EDT( Eastern Daylight Time) ]Apollo 11 took off from Kennedy Space Center with astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.
19 July 1969 – Apollo 11 entered into a lunar orbit after travelling 240000miles (386242.56Km) in 76 Hrs.
20 July 1969 – at 20.17.39UTC “The Eagle has landed” , the famous message radioed to control room.
21 July 1969–at 02:56:15 UTC(10:56:15 Pm July 20 EDT), Neil Armstrong stepped off and planted his foot on Moos.
After 21hrs and 36 min on lunar surface , Lunar Module lifted off from Moon at 17:54:01 UTC.
At 21:34:00 UTC docked with CSM(Command Service Module) piloted by Michael Collins.
22 July 1969 – Apollo 11 begins its return journey.
24 July 1969 – Safely landed in Pacific Ocean at 12.50 pm EDT.
What Neil Armstrong and Edwin E “BUZZ” Aldrin did?
- Collected small contingency sample of lunar material.
- Both unveiled the plaque and read the inscription aloud , “Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the moon July 1969,AD.We came in peace for all mankind”.
- They put up American flag.
- They talk to President Richard M.Nixon over radiotelephone.
- They deployed instruments.
- Taken various photographs.
- Collected 21.55 Kg of lunar rock and soil.
- They transverse distance of 250 mtrs.
List of Object touch to Moon
- The first ever human made object to touch the Moon was Sovit Union’s LUNA2 on 13 September 1959.
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) carried out its first mission to Moon is CHANDRAYAAN 1 which is controlled crash Impact with its Moon Impact Probe (MIP) on 14 November 2008.
- China executed controlled crash on the surface of Moon with its CHANG’E1 on 1 March 2009.
On this 50th Anniversary of First Moon Landing, I take opportunity to extend my BEST WISHES to Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for CHANDRAYAAN 2 which is planned to take off on 22.07.2019 at 2.43 Pm.