New Automotive FMEA Handbook: 10 basic things
The highlights and 10 basic things about “New Automotive FMEA Handbook” are:
- AIAG- Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG)
- VDA – Verband der Automobilindustrie (German Association of the Automotive Industry)
- AIAG and VDA have collaborated and harmonized their earlier Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) Manual and published this first international guide.
- So, this is AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook first Edition release in June 2019.This handbook supersedes AIAG 4th Edition FMEA and VDA “Product and Process FMEA “volume 4.
- The FMEA Handbook having a new chapter on” Supplemental FMEA for Monitoring and System Response (FMEA-MSR) “ , this will help to analyse potential Failure Causes which might occur under customer operating condition.
- Revised Severity, Occurrence and Detection Tables,
- The Action Priority (AP) methodology and Tables to replace RPN.
- New Form Sheets for spread sheet users and
- New Software Report Views for software users.
- The most important part is execution of FMEA and same is based on “7-Step Approach”, the steps are :
- Step 1:Planning & Preparation,
- Step 2:Structure Analysis,
- Step 3:Function Analysis,
- Step 4:Failure Analysis,
- Step 5:Risk Analysis,
- Step 6:Optimization, and
- Step 7: Results Documentation.
The above seven steps approach is categorized into three phases and they are System Analysis, Failure Analysis and Risk Mitigation Risk Communication
Phase 1: “System Analysis” phase represent, Steps 1 through 3.
Phase 2: “Failure Analysis and Risk Mitigation” phase represent, Steps 4 through 6.
Phase 3: “Risk Communication” phase is Step 7, Results Documentation.